Saturday, December 18, 2010

She sells sushi...

I don't know what the ad was trying to sell, but there is a group of young people out having dinner at a sushi place. One young man orders something by pointing to the menu because he doesn't know what the menu says, and the waitress leaves with a chipper "good choice!" When she returns she has a huge platter with some round tentacled thing in the center. When the young man pokes at it with his chopstick, the thing leaps up and adheres to his face. He mumbles something about an interesting texture, and the waitress nods and smiles and says "She lay eggs now. Enjoy!"

My Daughter had never seen this ad and had a good laugh as I described it to her over our sushi dinner this evening. She had persuaded me to go to this particular establishment because she loved the food so much and she said it would make her feel better. And like any good mommy when my baby needed cheering up, I said okay. So there I was in a sushi restaurant with my daughter, when my own attitude towards sushi was pretty much summed up by that tv ad, and this line from folk singer Christine Lavin, "Some say eating sushi is like chewing on your own cheek, or chugging down a bucketful of tentacled slime."

Now, I do pride myself on keeping an open mind. About some things, anyway. So she ordered me all cooked items and I carefully worked my way through. Gotta give it top marks for presentation, the stuff certainly looks nice. I find the pieces too large though, since you're supposed to eat them whole or in only two bites.

I was contemplating how to best divide a particular piece when Daughter asked me if I was enjoying myself, and I had to laugh. I guess my facial expression indicated that, instead of looking forward to putting this morsel in my mouth, I saw it as a problem to be solved.

I had a lovely time with Daughter. But I still have to say that sushi is not high on my list of "comfort" foods!


No comments: