Thursday, September 1, 2011

A Day on the Picket Line

I'm on strike. So are 1700 others, my co-workers, non-academic staff at a prestigious university. (That's a hint as to which university it is - it likes to proclaim itself the "Harvard of the North.") I just spent my first four-hour shift on the picket line, and boy, do I ever hope this strike is over soon!

Remember, I'm an old lady, and I've been working a desk job for 20 years now! OMG, walking so slowly for such a long stretch of time is painful! I can barely hobble now, I never want to stand up as long as I live, and I have to do it all over again tomorrow. I hurt so much it brought tears to my eyes. I came home, hit the shower, and lay whimpering on the bed, crying out to Boyfriend to make supper for me.

This is way harder than working.


No comments: