Thursday, February 2, 2017

Imbolc, as I Understand It

And there's a lot I don't understand, but Imbolc is one of my favourite pagan celebrations. It's a cross-quarter day: half way between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. The last vestige of it in our modern world is Groundhog day.

The word "Imbolc" means "in milk." At this time of year, in the climates where these traditions began, sheep and goats are giving birth, and the farmers who care for them now suddenly have extra milk, because the animals can give more milk now. To subsistence farmers, this is reason to celebrate, having this source of extra protein.

It is a time of celebrating the turning of the wheel of the year. It is light out again, and the light grows stronger daily. There is extra nourishment. We give thanks.

I personally welcome the light back by placing a candle in every window and every doorway of my home. And tonight we eat a dish made with milk or cheese. My home-made yogurt is just about ready to be strained and chilled as I write this!

I love that it's simple.

The aspect of the Great Goddess that I am mindful of at this time is Brighid. Known as the goddess of the forge and smithcraft, poetry, and healing, she's very well-known among the Irish, and being of Irish descent I therefore have an affinity for her!

But I like especially the candle bit. Catholics call this day Candlemas - when they would bring their candles to the church to be blessed.

Back in those old-fashioned days, it must have been something to see candles in every window and doorway, when there were no other lights around.

So this is what I do.

No comments: