Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I dreamt my whole house was clean...

Ay me! What an idyllic sight it was, too! No dust, no pet hair, no stray bits of thread, no bits of foodstuffs left on the counter, gleaming floors, fresh-smelling linens, nothing in the laundry baskets... S I G H . . . .

Well, it's something to shoot for, as opposed to shooting myself about!

My Pal lent me a book called Getting Things Done. Today I have followed its precepts, and already, at 11:43 am, I've done and accomplished more than I have been doing in entire days, lately! So something works.

I'm about to do something to the sewing room - not quite sure what, but I have to define that goal right after finishing this blog. If I don't define what it is I want to accomplish (besides the whole house being in perfect order - unattainable) then I won't know when I'm done! But already I have a sense of peace, sitting here, knowing that I'm going to accomplish something today. As opposed to my usual frame of mind - a vague sense of panic that swirls around me no matter where I'm looking because it's all too much!

I've worked out recently that the utter chaos in my home is a big reason people seldom come to see me. And since I love visitors, I'm going to fix that, somehow. Because I want my friends to feel comfortable when they're here.

As I walked the dog and cat this morning, I passed a neighbour who was rinsing out her garbage bins. "Yuck," she said to me. "We'd been away a few weeks, and the...DEATH! inside these things!"

I laughed and said, "to me, it's not so much the dead stuff as the living things, like the maggots!"

She replied, "Well, that's what I meant, but I didn't want to talk about them. I guess I'm obsessive" she finished with a laugh.

"Oh, I don't think so at all!" I replied. "I firmly believe garbage buckets should be washed and rinsed each and every time there's a spill!" She nodded, then I added, "...not that I actually DO that, I just BELIEVE in it!"

We both laughed.

And then I realized it - I BELIEVE.

I BELIEVE my house should be CLEAN. Free of dust, pet hair, stains, junk, mess.... It should be pristine! That's the house I BELIEVE in!

And I believe that when I die, I'm going to go to a better place: a mansion, just for me.

And it'll be sparkling! From basement to attic, my home will be clean, fresh, airy and bright!

Something to hope for!

No comments: