Sunday, December 28, 2008

As Christmas Presented Itself

I didn't start out with a lot of enthusiasm for Christmas this year. We were very broke. With plenty of expenses.

Like the Snow-Tire Deadline. December 15, every vehicle has to have four snow tires on.

True to form, Hubby bought his on the 14th, and slated the installation, alignment & balancing for the 15th. Well, at least we actually MADE the deadline!

But that whopped the heck out of the paycheck. He told the kids, "Everybody's getting a TIRE for Christmas."

For days and weeks, the kids bugged us about putting up a tree.

"What's the point?" I asked. "There isn't going to be anything under it."

Our employer added to the fun. Every year since its inception, McGill has paid the end-of-the-month pay (slated for the 31st) on the 23rd of December. Hubby has been working there 32 years. For his 32 years, and my 19, we've been getting that extra paycheck just before Christmas, and we've been using it to pull Christmas presents out of a hat.

But noooo - not any more. We were notified on the 15th that, oh, by the way, your pay of the 31st will stay firmly where it is, until the actual 31st of December. Happy Holidays!

I had a quilt deadline for Christmas, so instead of sewing up a storm of presents, I was quilting. That meant for me that I couldn't start making Christmas presents till the client had picked up her quilt, which she did, on the 19th. So that's when I STARTED making gifts.

I noted with what I think is called "wry chagrin" that my cousin had all the gifts WRAPPED by that date. Sigh. Maybe next year.

Well, Santa pulled down a miracle. The EX gave Hubby back his support payment for the month of December.

See, the kid he's paying support FOR has been living here, with US, for six months.

"Has she found religion?" one of our pals asked.

I don't know. But we did find ourselves with a Christmas after all - complete with tree, food, and gifts for all.

Nobody was more surprised than me!

No comments: