Thursday, January 1, 2009

Getting the Ball(s) Rolling...

Well, here it is, New Year's Day, and just about everyone has a resolution or two, and most of them involve us getting (uncharacteristically) off our respective ARSES and MOVING AROUND more!

My resolution involves quilting, but I've known for some time I should be moving more than I usually do.

And tonight, Hubby and I did it. (No - not THAT "it".)

We went bowling.

Champion Lanes has black lights, disco music, and electronic scoring. So, for the first time in my life, I knew the scoring was CORRECT!

A tad expensive, from what I remember paying when I was a teen. We bowled five strings each and rented shoes, and the evening came up just shy of $40.

We were doing the little balls, by the way. Being a graphic designer whose livelihood depends on being able to those fine, repetitive motions with my wrist when working on the computer, AND being a quilter whose livelihood depends on being able to make fine repetitive motions with my fingers and wrist, I cannot afford to do any damage to those delicate nerves! As it is, after five strings, I'm going to put ice on the wrist for a while...

But this is a success story. Getting out, to have FUN, with Hubby, on New Year's Day, and get a teensy bit of EXERCISE thrown into the bargain!

Because, let me tell you, bowling is exercise! I (gasp) SWEAT!

I stripped off my shirt, matter of fact, down to my sport camisole. I asked Hubby, "Is this okay, if I take my shirt off?"

"Sure!" Hubby replied enthusiastically, with a chaser of "Makes 'em nice and bouncy!"

Hmm. Maybe a MAN is not the best judge of appropriate attire.

However, I won three out of five strings. Fortunately for me, we had somewhere else we had to be by a certain time, because my arm was getting REAL tired, and Hubby was just getting warmed up. The scores would have reversed in one more string.

But both of us had fun. I wiggled and danced every time I got a spare or a strike, or whenever a song came on that I liked. That's the most dancing I've done in twenty years!

And, as exercise goes, it was mercifully short and fun!

So, let's hope this bodes well for the year to come. More wiggling around, more fun, less sitting on the butt.

No comments: