Friday, June 26, 2009

A Bump on a Log...

Yesterday I took the day to not get dressed.

If you don't get dressed, there are precious few activities you can engage in outside your home. I like to do this a few times a year - a day to myself, a day to recharge - COMPLETELY.

I know others who take a day "off" and run themselves ragged doing a bunch of stuff. I do that kind of thing, too.

But back in my Grade 10 English class, our teacher gave us an article written by G. K. Chesterton titled: On Lying in Bed. That article struck a chord in my soul. In it, G. K. bewailed the loss of major morals and the growing concern over minor morals. "Cleanliness is not next to godliness these days, for cleanliness is considered an essential, and godliness is considered an offense." And he said THAT at the turn of the OTHER century!

I did not do laundry yesterday. The dishes in my sink are from two days ago. I did not get any quilting or sewing done. I didn't write to anyone. And the only calls I made were to Videotron, because they buggered up my channels. I spent most of my "awake" time yesterday watching tv. I got up to feed the cat, to feed myself, to let the cat out and in, and to go back to bed. I didn't even bathe. I emptied the air conditioner's little collector every two hours, and stayed in my cool retreat, lying on the couch, lying in bed, quite literally the proverbial "bump on a log."

I was completely happy. This was not an "oh pitiful me" routine. This was simply enjoying a day off after all the stress and activity of the past few months. Even the fun stress is still stress, nudge nudge, wink wink, say no MORE!

Today I will once again gather up the reins and get stuff done. I will wash dishes, vacuum, make cat food, get groceries. I will sew and quilt and connect with loved ones. I am completely and utterly rested. My head is clear, and I am still happy. And I look forward to the next time I will lie quite shamelessly in my bed. One day of peace.

It's worth it.

No comments: