Sunday, June 7, 2009

Unashamed Felinity

Today was the big day. After I put the coffee on, I took the harness in one hand and the ID tags in the other. I attached the tags to the harness, and the harness to the cat. And opened the kitchen window.

At long last, Bijou has earned her freedom. Within certain limits...

She goes out only when I'm home, and comes in for the night. No exceptions.

She went in and out about 200 times this morning. She came to the front window and said hello, then scampered off. Came back, and the minute I rose to go greet her, she ran towards the front door. "Can it be...?" I wondered. I went up the stairs and sure enough, she had come to the door to be let in! I nearly cried for sheer joy. My little baby is SO SMART!!!

Well, morning passed, and about two in the afternoon whatever she was doing, plus the lack of naps, finally caught up with her. She had a small meal, flopped into the rocking chair, where not a whisker stirred for a good four hours!

After dinner, it was much colder and damper outside, since the sun was hidden by thick grey clouds and the wind had come up a bit. So her post-suppertime romp was cut short. About a minute and a half, actually. This cat likes the sun, no doubt about it!

"My goodness," I exclaimed, rubbing her long silky limbs and tickling her under her chin. "Whatever did you DO today that plum wore you out so?"

She gazed up at me, green eyes shrouded in mystery, and yet strangely content.

"I'm entitled to SOME privacy," she replied lazily, turning to wash a paw. "Ask me no questions - I'll tell you no lies!" She winked one lovely eye at me and rolled over to begin the next stage of her nap, stretching sensually as she did so.

Okay, baby, I thought. You've waited a long time for this day. Your secrets are safe with me!

I'll only report this: not one, but TWO young toms came to the front window about an hour later and mewed softly. She thinks I didn't see her lift her head and wink at them...

No comments: