Thursday, July 16, 2009

Another Day, Another Lesson

I learned a few things today.

I wore jeans and running shoes with socks today - it was only 14 degrees this morning. Running shoes ARE a lot more comfortable to walk in than flats, sandals, or heels. It's been three days since my pedicure, and already the callus on the ball of my right foot feels ready to accept the human equivalent of a horseshoe.

So I learned that I should have been putting cream on - every single day. Falls into that category like brushing teeth. "Aw, Mom, do I have to?" Yes.

I learned that even though rush hour was quite over by the time I rolled out of bed, that I can still connect from the number 102 bus, which stops just outside my door, to the 66, and end up three blocks from work in about 25 minutes.

I learned not to have a third coffee in the morning. Had rapid heartbeat all day after that, and a panic attack in the afternoon to boot.

I learned that my forehead becomes a greasy mess even on cool days, and that something drastic has to be done or I'll scrape my face off in my sleep. (Booked a facial, FYI. Don't worry - I won't be turning up at your door, flesh hanging off in greasy strips, to scare you or your children in the middle of the night!)

When I came home from work, I decided to go to the pool not too far from here to cool down. I packed my bathing suit, bathing cap, earplugs, kleenex, towel and flip-flops into my bag. I took the lock off the shed door where my bike is locked up and hoped it wouldn't be missed till I got back. I went back and forth from the locker to the changing room, forgetting one thing after another in the locker and having to unlock it about six times. I learned not to put things into a locker till AFTER I've changed...

The water was wonderful - just cold enough to give you a shiver as you ease your hot body (even after the regulation shower) into it. It's a great pool. Fifty meters long, and the diving section off to one side. I paddled around for about five minutes, got bored, and left.

When I got home, I had to rinse out my bathing suit and rinse the chlorine off my body, so I ended up taking a shower.

So much for cooling off.

I learned that the neighbourhood pool is a place you go with friends to talk to or laps to swim. But you can't just hang out there, they don't allow floaties. If I could sling myself into a floatie, I could stay happily for hours. But no more neighborhood pool for me until I have a friend to talk to, or swim with! Because by the time I got home and showered and rinsed everything and hung it up, I was as hot as when I started.

Oh well.

And just a few moments ago I learned that I should not unhook the drain from the dishwasher until the entire cycle is complete and the machine beeps. See, it was on the "dry" cycle. I figured the water connection wasn't needed any more, with 8 minutes left, so I unhooked it.

And with exactly three minutes left in the cycle, the machine began to drain. Onto my floor.

I like my landlord and landlady very much. But I can hear her voice now:

"No water, Debbie! I tell you, before we go away, I tell you, don't use water on this floor. They say no water. Why you pour water all over the floor?"

As I mopped up the spill with my newly-washed and dried towels, I mentally questioned the engineer who designed this particular dishwasher.

"WTF!!!!! Why don't you drain it BEFORE the dry cycle? Why did you have to leave that little surprise in there? Are you a sadist, or just mean? Excuse me, but if a machine is silent for 35 minutes, one might be forgiven for thinking it's FINISHED!!!"

Well, next time, I'll just leave everything hooked up.

As a good friend of mine has said:

"Oh no - not another ****ing learning experience!

1 comment:

Arrg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.