Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cooking for One

Well, one and a half, if you count the cat!

So, I make home made cat food pretty much every other day. And Bijou has a penchant for chicken. Because of this, I tend to eat a lot of chicken.

Occasionally, we do beef, in one form or another. I like chili, steak, meatloaf. Bijou does not. Okay, back to chicken.

I owe Bijou my thanks, in a way. If not for her, I'd probably lapse into a rut that many single people fall into, especially the... aged ... among us. Tea and toast. Liquid lunches, liquid suppers. Cookies for supper. In other words, no cooking.

I love eating salads, but I hate preparing them. Rinse, dry, chop chop chop... god, it's BORING! Nah - I'll just grab a cucumber from the fridge and bite right into it, rather than go to all that work!

At least, when I make Bijou's cat food, I'm up and cooking, and I make my own veggies and salad. Most of the time.

Well, part of the great thing about getting a freezer is that now I've got stuff in it - stuff that isn't chicken. In the case of tonight's culinary masterpiece, breaded haddock filets and shoestring french fries. Bijou had her chicken, and I had fish n chips.

And as for veggies - well, tomato juice counts as a vegetable, no? And I'm sure the clam, lemon, worcestershire and vodka didn't hurt, either! Two servings!

A well-balanced meal!

No comments: