Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kitteh Kitteh

My precious, precocious Bijou has been supplementing the healthy home-made food I give her.

For three days in a row, I have heard her sweet voice calling me to the kitchen window, where she has presented me with a tiny mouse.

A different mouse each day, you understand.

She is giving me the only thing she can give me. She is presenting me with a treasure beyond price.

And I make all the right cooing sounds and praise the mighty hunter, and set a bowl of cream out for her so she can be rewarded with something she absolutely cannot turn away from...

But alas - I haven't been fast enough to get the mousies away from her, and they have each been ingested in turn, right in front of me. She bites off the heads, crunch crunch crunch, then goes back to the cream to wash it down...

a Pal suggested to me that I mustn't let this continue, because one never knows if these are true field mice, or if they've been walking around somebody's house and eaten something nasty, like poison, for example.

Well, so far, Lady Luck has been with us, and there have been no ill effects. And, today being both a work day AND a quilting guild meeting night, I've decided to keep her inside. All day and all evening.

You would think, from her response, that she'd been imprisoned in Alcatraz itself for a hundred years... First it was 'thump!" from the counter to the floor, then up her tree/post, then "thump" back to the floor, then back to the kitchen window, then "thump" and another and another...

She's now sulkily coiled in her basket, ignoring me, planning her revenge.

And, just for today, the wee mice have a chance to change lodgings...

No comments: