Friday, April 16, 2010

"How in the world…"

Oh, come on, ye young folk, gather round for my song -
Your lives have been short, but mine has been long -
Time is laying a trap for you, lying in wait -
By the time he has struck, we'll be gone -
And then you'll be singing the - "How in the world did I get this way?" blues.



I've got one knee that won't bend, and one won't go straight -
Years ago, unwittingly I sealed my fate -
I left gym class too early to go read my books
Now I feel like I've arrived at Death's gate -
And I found myself singing the - "How in the world did I get this way?" blues.

Well, "Eat less and excercise?" What did they know!
I'd the world by the tail and I knew where to go -
My cream-cheese-and-cherry-pie, and my chocolate cake too -
Have conspired like the ocean's undertow -
And I found myself singing the - "How in the world did I get this way?" blues.


So take a lesson, young people, from this tired old bat -
Get up and get moving, find out where it's at -
Don't you drink-too-much-smoke-too-much-sit-on-the-couch -
Or you'll wake up so old and so fat
You'll be lost and be singing the - "How in the world did I get this way?" blues!

1 comment:

Deb said...

With a few changes it fits Bob Dylan's "The Times They are a-Changin'. Next post.